Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sty

Health Issue:  Stye or Sty

I got a sty about a week ago.  It really just looks like a red, inflamed bump on my eyelid, just around and above where my eyelashes grow. Every few days, the outer skin layer crusts up and sheds (with my assistance).

 

Styes are blocked oil glands that have become infected by bacteria (usually Staph).  They can occur on the inner rim of the eyelid, or on the outer rim- like mine.

I think I can chalk this infection up as stress-triggered. I got it as I was preparing to give a talk to my department.  I don't typically wear eye makeup, and I don't think it was a hygiene issue.

What to do:


Some of the most sensible advice out there is to lay down and put a warm, wet washcloth over your eyes for a 5-10 minutes a few times a day.  Yet I am busy or stressed out enough that even this simplest of self care seems like a chore, and I have only managed to do it once every other day - which is sad because this would probably help with the stress issue too.  Part of the problem is that the washcloth cools very quickly, and I had to warm it up twice in 10 minutes.

Other people suggest using a warm tea bag.  I think this is a great idea, because I drink tea every morning anyway and I bet the tea bag holds heat longer. So I'm going to start making an effort to use the tea bag in the mornings, and do the washcloth thing before I go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment